hardguy

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The New Nazi Era

I attended the Mayday Unity March for immigrant rights in Chicago yesterday. A huge crowd. My objecttive was to get some good pictures of people in the crowd. But I was very touched by the kindness, youth, and humanity of the mostly Mexican people in the vast crowd. A lot of them had little kids with them, many carried the American flag. Almost all of them looked happy, cheerful. They look like us, at a party. Why are we harrassing these people? How can we turn our backs on people who have lived here for 20, 30 or 40 years, being good citizens and doing the crap jobs most of us don't want.
The Bush administration seems to make a bigger blunder every day. I am afraid that it is only going to get much worse. It's almost as if we are reliving the Nazi era and Bush and the Republican right wing have decided to make the Mexicans the new Jews. Bush promised some time ago to work out a reasonable immigration reform to allow people who have been here a long time to stay. That's not going to happen. The rabid Right Wing is going to victimize these people. I live in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood, Pilsen. I've never had a problem with any of these people. But I fear for their safety. I think this is going to get much, much worse. Massive, sweeping immigration raids in the middle of the night. Can their own Crystal Night be far off? I hope that I am wrong on this but I don't think I am. Imagine having to truse in Bush and Cheney for your future welfare?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home